FIA 8856-2000 – Protective Clothing For Automobile Drivers
The Federation Internationale De L’Automobile (FIA) specify stringent design and test requirements for protective clothing worn by drivers in automobile competitions. The garments should conform to FIA 8856-2000 (modified 28-09-2012) and the requirements apply to the following (helmets are not covered by this standard):
- Outer garments (racing drivers suits)
- Balaclava hoods
- Rain proof overgarments
The requirements are designed to ensure that the driver is protected from heat and flame.
The test requirements vary with the item being tested and the appropriate tests will be selected from the list below.
- Flame resistance – ISO 15025
- Heat transmission – ISO 9151
- Mechanical resistance – FIA 8856-2000: Clause 7.3
- Tensile strength – ISO 13935-1
- Dimensional change – ISO 5077
- Design assessment – FIA 8856-2000
On successful completion of the testing, a report will be issued and the following procedures then apply:
- Outer garments (racing driver’s suits) – The test report is sent by the laboratory to the FIA via the Autorité Sportive Nationale (National Sporting Authority – ASN). A reference garment is sent to the FIA by the laboratory. The FIA will then issue a homologation number for each model. The homologated garment will be published by the FIA in the Technical List No.27 – Part 1.
- Undergarments, socks, shoes, balaclava hoods and rain proof overgarments – the process is the same as that for outer garments, however, no homologation number is given. The approved item will be published by the FIA in the Technical List No.27 – Part 2.
- Gloves – the process is the same as that for outer garments, however, no homologation number is given. The approved glove will be published by the FIA in the Technical List No.27 – Part 3.
Marking – The item has to be marked in accordance with Section 9 of the FIA standard.
Modifications after the approval has been granted by the FIA can be made by contacting the laboratory and will be based on the issuing of an extension report or a letter of authorised modification.
BTTG™ are an FIA approved test house and our experts will guide you through the testing and homologation process.
For further information, please contact BTTG on +44 (0)161 876 4211 / email@example.com and we will be happy to discuss your requirements.